- GCSEs to include a minimum Grade 4 in Music if taken
- Grade 7 on your main instrument or voice
- You must also be able to read music fluently and have some understanding of Music Theory (ABRSM), up to grade 5
- This course focuses 100% on developing your ability as a jazz performer
- One-to-one tuition from specialist jazz instrumental/vocal teachers
- You will have the opportunity to benefit from the strong links which the department has with the UK’s leading conservatoires and specialist jazz music departments. The Subsidiary Diploma is designed to enable you to access these prestigious courses.
This course is designed for highly able musicians who are thinking seriously about pursuing a career in the music industry as music performers. The different units in the course will enable you to develop the skills you need to prepare to apply for the UK’s most prestigious jazz/popular music performance courses.
The Professional Performance Studies in Music option will also include A Level Music. This will be the equivalent of 2.5 A Levels. Places on this course are limited. Students will be provided with one hour per week of free instrumental/vocal tuition.
Exam Board: Popular Music and Jazz Studies – RSL (Music Practitioners)
Watch some current Popular Music and Jazz Studies students perform in one of our Jazz and Soul Evenings: