- GCSEs to include a Grade 4 in English, Mathematics and Science
- Minimum Average GCSE Score required for this course: 5
- In order to be assessed practically in PE, it is a requirement that students are actively competing in a sport on a regular basis
- Focus is on the study and application of key theoretical concepts that underpin sports performance alongside the development of a balanced, active, healthy lifestyle
- Oral coursework assessment, practical assessment in one sport and written exams
- Can lead to a variety of sports degrees and other higher education courses, as well as a range of careers in the sports industry.
If you are passionate about sport, have a good level of practical ability and take a real interest in sport and physical education then A Level Physical Education could be a great choice.
The course enables you to investigate a wide range of sport-related topics and will develop your knowledge and understanding of the core aspects of sport including applied anatomy and physiology, exercise physiology, biomechanics, skill acquisition, sports psychology, sport in society and contemporary issues in sport.
The diverse nature of the syllabus encourages a wide variety of teaching and learning styles including group work, individual assignments, presentations and practical work. These will require you to be flexible and to make positive contributions in all aspects. Progress is checked regularly, as are your files and notes. Each week we hold lunchtime workshops where a member of the teaching staff is available to help with more complex or individual problems.
Students on this course are motivated, enthusiastic and willing to participate in a wide range of sporting activities through the College’s recreational and team game programmes. The Department focuses on the practical application of all that is learned in the classroom and you will experience a wide range of activities. Success at this level requires a good understanding of a range of different theoretical concepts, good essay writing skills and the ability to carry out experimental and practical work.
Exam Board: A Level Physical Education – OCR