- GCSEs to include a minimum Grade 7 in Mathematics
- Minimum Average GCSE Score required for this course: 5.5
- A course for students who take a genuine interest and thrill from Mathematics
- Seriously consider if Mathematics is your favourite GCSE, if you are considering studying the subject at A Level and beyond
- If not chosen in your first year, AS Further Maths can be taken alongside A Level Maths in the second year.
This course is taken in addition to Maths and is for those that both enjoy and are good at the subject. Although the content ranks among the hardest A Level courses, it is recognised that its similarity to single Mathematics makes the course a common fourth or even fifth option for strong students.
Further Mathematics will both broaden and deepen a student’s understanding of mathematics and covers some key mathematical concepts that are not part of the single Mathematics A Level. As students will be keen mathematicians there is also some scope for looking a little beyond the specification.
Further Maths is a hugely rewarding yet very challenging course that requires organisation and dedication. Many of the key concepts studied, such as matrices and complex numbers, are integral to a deeper understanding of mathematics and its modern uses.