- GCSEs to include at least a Grade 4 in English
- Minimum Average GCSE Score required for this course: 4
- GCSE History is not required
- The History Department has a strong tradition of both domestic and foreign trips
- Each year around a quarter of students studying A Level History go on to further History-based courses at university.
The A Level History syllabus offers a really exciting choice of options to study. All A Level History courses now require the study of a minimum 200 years of history, plus a unit of British history. You select one of the two routes outlined below and will study the relevant units in class. In Year 2 you will also complete a personal investigation on a topic of your own choosing. This means that if you are interested in an area which our syllabus doesn’t cover, you can still pursue your interest in it via the personal investigation.
- The Tudor Monarchy
- The Rise of the Communists in Russia
- A Personal Investigation on Civil Rights in the USA or topic of your choice
- Britain from 1951 to 2007
- Germany from 1871 to 1991: The Kaiser, the Nazis and the Emergence of Democracy
- A Personal Investigation on the Crusades or a topic of your choice from pre 1800