- GCSEs to include a Grade 4 in English
- Minimum Average GCSE Score required for this course: 4
- Two year course (no AS Level)
- Essay-based analysis of poetry, plays, novels and short stories including works by Shakespeare
- Enrichment opportunities include English Extension sessions, theatre visits and the creative writing group.
“Read in order to live.”
Taking English Literature at Barton Peveril means you’ll get to study some of the most famous and fascinating writers of all time. William Shakespeare will always feature but so will women writers, American writers and texts concentrated in specific time periods. You’ll leave us with the skills necessary for a lifelong appreciation of fiction in all its forms and a real talent for practically criticising any text you’re confronted with. From the narrators who recount great texts to the social implications of literature, you’ll articulate both argument and analysis across a wide range of literary issues.
A Level English Literature is a hugely challenging, enjoyable and widely respected qualification. You will be expected to love reading independently and enjoy a variety of fiction: novels, poetry, plays and short stories. Equally you must be confident in articulating your analysis of texts in formal essays. Class debate is lively and strong opinions about set texts are welcomed and encouraged.