- GCSEs to include a Grade 4 in English
- Minimum Average GCSE Score required for this course: 4
- Very active, highly practical and academic two year course
- Assessed on practical performance and written exams
- You will be able to go to the theatre on a regular basis and have the opportunity to work with some of the leading practitioners and professionals in the industry
- Requirement for some after College rehearsals
- Past students have gone on to study a broad range of subjects at university.
Drama and Theatre Studies is an intellectually challenging and artistically rewarding subject that explores the history of Drama and analyses the theatrical forms, practitioners and stylistic approaches that take a production from page to stage.
The course is designed to instil a thorough understanding of both practice and theory and offers plenty of scope for development of performance-based skills. You will take part in a variety of practical workshops and have the opportunity to study play texts, look at different theatre practitioners and companies as well as performing your own work, both scripted and devised. You will also learn and apply directing skills practically and to texts studied.
As a student on the Drama and Theatre Studies course, you will be expected to see as much live theatre as possible and to actively explore new ideas and forms of performance. Trips to see professional productions in London and a variety of regional venues are organised on a regular basis and you will learn how to analyse and critically deconstruct these experiences, as well as other works you study or create yourself. The more productions you see, the wider your knowledge and experience will become!
As with other Performing Arts subjects, the dedication, motivation, teamwork, confidence and organisational skills that underpin success will add genuine value to any university, apprenticeship or employment application.